Texas A&M’s University Apartments, a 108-unit complex, was experiencing major comfort problems with its existing minimal AC. The small space didn’t allow much room for duct work or condensing units and the building required zoning capability. DXS provided 108 Daikin multi-splits for this summer installation project. A single condensing unit can be used with these units and still be able to give each apartment two independent zones. Comfort was improved by the variable speed compressor, which gives consistent temperature control. DXS helped improve installation efficiency by allowing the contractor to schedule deliveries as the project proceeded through this large renovation project.
- Project Location: College Station, TX
- Owner/Client: Texas A&M University
- Project Description:
Multi-Family Key Considerations
In Europe and Asia, where cities are densely populated and high-rise apartment buildings are the norm, VRF air conditioning systems represent 50 percent of the multi-family market. As development space in North American urban areas becomes more valuable and as consumers here become more energy efficiency-minded, VRF technology is now the preferred choice of many multi-family building developers.
VRF systems offer architects and engineers with a competitive alternative to chilled water and split systems. DXS partners with developers who are attracted to VRF’s energy efficiency, ease of maintenance and its long life. And we work with engineers to customize our products, such as designing a system that provides both high-efficiency heat and air conditioning.
- Energy efficient; lower utility rates are passed through to tenants and owners
- Opportunity to reduce overall building construction cost
- A 20+-year lifespan on mechanical system compared to 10 to 15 years for traditional systems
- Ability to handle temperature control for hundreds of small spaces
- Heats and cools buildings varying in height from single story to high-rise more effectively than conventional AC systems
- DXS onsite at five key junctures: onsite training prior to installation, quality control checks during installation, during start-up, 30 days after commissioning for building owner verification, and ongoing training for staff
- Fast, dependable service and maintenance support after installation
- Complete inventory of parts and equipment locally stocked